To make a lot of money, you will have to decide to become somewhat abnormal. Normal people are rarely successful, and what success they do enjoy is often tainted by their discomfort in life.”
“There are two ways to make a sale. You can go out into the world and push to convince people or you can stand back and have them come to you. It’s your choice.”
the “secret” may not really be so secret after all. It may in fact be hidden in plain sight.
Like attracts like. Wealthy people, money and the deals they make like to be around the same. Clue: It costs nothing to hang around wealthy people and be around deals.
Options equal opportunity. The more options you have, the greater your chances of success. Often the trick is just seeing all the options in front of you.
“Pull” is better than “Push”. You can go out into the world and push things on people. That works some of the time, but it is laborious and won’t make you rich. Creating something excellent and pulling people towards you is far more effective.
Patience is often your greatest ally. Impatience leads to poor decisions. The ability to delay gratification is essential.
Low hanging fruit is the most delicious. Find what you are great at. Everyone is great at something or can be great at something, so you need to capitalize on that. Amplify your successes and multiply the things that make you the most money.
Work smart not hard. Often times, people think that they have to work hard to get ahead. While hard work is not something to shy away from, it’s always better to work smart.
There is a seventh step that is fairly controversial but very effective. I will offer it here for your consideration. Every successful person I know has done and does this. No matter how much money you have, this may be an essential step.
Earn more money at your job
Salary negotiations are magic.
Seriously. That’s because with a single conversation, you can make thousands more than you did before.
starting a side hustle.
Simply put, side hustles are freelance businesses that can generate you cash outside of your normal work hours like…
- Graphic design
- Copywriting and editing
- Web development and programming
The best part is freelance businesses are easily scalable, so you can make a lot of money if you’re willing to devote just a little bit of time to it. Or if you get busy in other areas of your life, you can scale back.
Find a profitable business idea
finding a profitable business idea is as simple as looking at your strengths. You can do that by answering four simple questions today and finding a side hustle that’s perfect to you.
If you’ve never heard of the Craigslist Penis Effect (CPE) before, let me say now that it’s NOT about posting unsolicited and unwanted photos of yourself on Craigslist.
he CPE actually describes situations where everyone else is so horrible that, by being even half-decent, you can dominate everyone else and succeed.
Think of those idiots on Craigslist trying to pick up women in the personals section by sending out a picture of their mediocre manhood. They’d be better served writing a few half-decent responses, testing to see which got the best response, and sending that out instead.
That’s exactly what you can start doing to generate effective leads.
Check out the jobs section of Craigslist and take a look at the ads relevant to your business.
If you took the time to write a great email reaching out to these companies, you’ll immediately separate yourself from 99.9999% of others on the site who are just sending boring boilerplate emails that’ll get them nowhere.
This doesn’t apply to just Craigslist either — you can use this with any job site. The key is to just be slightly better than average and willing to test a few different emails.
The 5-line email pitch to qualify your leads
- The introduction, You’re going to want to build rapport by introducing yourself and how you know about the client.
- The offer. Talk about them. What do you want to do for them? Why are you good for that role? You’re going to want to do some research on the organization to see what they need help with.
- The benefit. Walk them through how your work will benefit their company. Are you going to free up more time for them? Are you going to maximize profits by X amount?
- The foot-in-the-door. This is a classic technique that utilizes an old psychology trick to get the client to agree to a small agreement so you can ask for a larger agreement later.
- The call to action. Be clear with this and ask them if they would like to proceed. The call to action is a critical part of this script.
The Tuner Strategy to charge the perfect price
- Drop Three Zeros MethodSimply take your ideal (read: realistic) salary, drop three zeros from it, and voila, you have your hourly rate!For example, say you’d really like to earn at least $40,000. Just take out the three zeros from the end and you now have your rate: $40/hour.
- Double your “resentment number”I love this one because it’s both really interesting and effective. Ask yourself: What’s the lowest rate you’ll work for that’ll leave you resentful of your work?Say you’ll work for $15/hour at the VERY LEAST. Just double that number so now you’ll earn $30/hour.
- Do what the next guy doesThis method is incredibly simple: Go to Google and search for the average hourly rate for whatever service you’re providing. You’ll get a good sense of where to start when you’re charging your clients.
The best part is after you start charging your clients, you can start to take on more or less work until you earn the amount you want.
Use the 85% Rule to invest in yourself
When it comes to starting a new business, too many of us will get overwhelmed thinking that we need to do everything “perfectly.” In fact, many will spin their tires doing things like:
- Starting a blog
- Creating a Facebook page
- Buying ads on Google
- Hiring skywriters to promote their business in the skies
Side hustle ideas for beginners
Here is a list of services that don’t take any special skills or training at all that you can offer to people for money:
- Transcription services
- Courier services
- Cooking / personal chef
- Technical writing
- Small business marketing
- Proofreading / editing
- Business writing (business plans, grants, white papers)
Side hustle ideas for college students
You can start a lucrative side hustle even if you’re living in a dorm room right now. Actually, that’s how I started IWT over a decade ago. Check out these hustles:
- Video production / editing
- Design (brochures, business cards, logos, newsletters)
- Web design
- Blogging / blog consulting
- Sports / personal training
- Child care
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
Side hustle ideas for millennials
Millennials have a wealth of marketable skills just by virtue of being in a tech-centric generation. My first side hustle was consulting for venture capital firms on how young people were using social media. Here are some other things you can do:
- User interface & user experience (UI/UX)
- Google Analytics
- Programming / web development
- E-commerce consulting
- Tech tutoring (e.g., how to set up and use your tablet)
- Internet marketing consulting
- Fashion / image consulting
Side hustle ideas for stay-at-home parents
Parents have some of the busiest schedules and irregular hours of anyone. However, on top of all those responsibilities, you can find a side hustle idea that makes you money. Case in point:
- Personal / virtual assistant
- Pet services (grooming, walking, etc.)
- Home maintenance
- Crafting / personalization services
- Human resources / payroll services
- Project management / productivity consulting
- Copywriting and editing
Side hustle ideas for working parents
If you’re a working parent, you probably have skills such as planning, budgeting, and productivity. You can easily transform one of those skills into a side hustle such as:
- Travel planning
- Event planning / promotion
- Automobile / motorcycle repair
- Tax and financial planning
- Community management / promotion
- Career help (finding work, optimizing resumes, cover letters, etc.)
Side hustle ideas for teachers
Teaching and the skills involved are at the core for a lot of thriving side hustles. That’s why professional teachers have an advantage when it comes to hustles such as:
- Presentation design (e.g., PowerPoint)
- Tutoring and coaching
- SAT prep
- College application review
- Productivity coaching
- Accounting / bookkeeping